Clothing store fire not gift shop’s fault

Anyone remember the St. John’s fire in 2007 that destroyed William L. Chafe and Sons? Well, the fire started next door in Murphy’s gift shop and Chafe sued Murphy’s, claiming its owner had not done enough to ensure their electrical wiring was safe. Our provincial appeals court has upheld a decision that negligence was not a factor in this case. A trial judge found Murphy’s gift shop was not negligent. Chafe appealed, but in a decision released Tuesday, his clothing store lost.

Get our weekly newsletter for in-depth reporting and analysis delivered straight to your inbox. You can unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time. Have a question? Contact us or review our privacy policy for more information.


Sign up for our weekly Indygestion newsletter


Sign up for the Indygestion newsletter

Each Saturday, we'll deliver a recap of all our in-depth reporting and analysis from the week.

Our donors make it possible.

Newfoundland and Labrador’s premiere outlet for progressive ideas is only possible with your support. Will you join us?

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Scroll to Top