This was a chance for me to help others who need it so bad. This is my story on how the budget affected me and many more like me.
Drained and truly broken-hearted. I was approved for post-secondary because of disabilities I have. I even spoke with my teacher about my choice of what field to go in. I was going in to do youth and addictions support worker. I wanted this so bad and to be able to work again. I wasn’t asking for a hand out, I was asking for a hand up. This budget took away a chance for a new life for me. The system is so set up to see you fail. All I want is to be able to pay my own way through life and pay my taxes. I want to be proud of myself and hold my head up too in society and not be judged by others who have no idea what footsteps I have gone through in my life.
Thank you my family and friends for your support over the years and especially this past year. Your comments and likes for how good I did on my exams the past year gave me so much support and a boost more than you all will ever know. I will find a way to complete what I set out to do. Lov’s ya all.
Peaceful and being true to who we are as a whole. Kind and caring is our greatest gift we are known for. Let’s show this is also true for our own. We are all in this together. Let’s work together to make it a better world for our children and their children. Show by example to your children it doesn’t matter where we are in society, we all can work together and do it with respect for each other. Working against each other isn’t going to help. Working together and sharing our ideas will.
God bless us all.
Joy Newhook / Mount Pearl
If you would like to share your story about how the provincial government’s austerity budget will affect you and/or your family, send your letter to [email protected]
Read The Independent’s ongoing coverage of austerity and the 2016 budget:
- “Dear people of Newfoundland and Labrador…” (Letter)
- The Labrador Problem (Opinion)
- A budget for the rich, by the rich (Opinion)
- Open letter to Premier, Cabinet Ministers & all MHAs (Letter)
- Solidarity and paying my dues (Opinion)
- Austerity hurts women, so we must shape our response accordingly (Opinion)
- Residents take anti-austerity fight to streets of St. John’s (News)
- Liberals’ austerity budget will hit most vulnerable hardest (News)
- Budget 2016 provides little hope for the future (Letter)
- Budget 2016 “an attack on families” (Letter)
- Government “definitely does have a choice” in NL Budget 2016: economist (News)
- As the wave breaks: NL budget 2016 (Opinion)
- Is there a democratic alternative to austerity? (Opinion)
- Deficit crisis a chance for change (Opinion)
- Not “Our” Crisis (Opinion)