Feds threaten to pull RCMP out of Newfoundland

Newfoundland and Labrador is facing the threat that the federal government may withdraw RCMP officers in 2014 if a deal on a new contract is not reached by the end of next month. Last week, B.C. Solicitor-General Shirley Bond announced the federal government had delivered the if British Columbia doesn’t sign a suggested 20-year policing contract by the end of November. “I can indeed confirm that … we did receive the ultimatum as well,” said Vanessa Colman-Sadd, director of communications for Newfoundland and Labrador’s Department of Justice. She said 440 RCMP members work in Newfoundland. Could the RNC fill the mounties’ boots? Read more at the Globe and Mail.

Source: The Globe and Mail

Get our weekly newsletter for in-depth reporting and analysis delivered straight to your inbox. You can unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time. Have a question? Contact us or review our privacy policy for more information.

 

Sign up for our weekly Indygestion newsletter

 

Sign up for the Indygestion newsletter

Each Saturday, we'll deliver a recap of all our in-depth reporting and analysis from the week.

Our donors make it possible.


Newfoundland and Labrador’s premiere outlet for progressive ideas is only possible with your support. Will you join us?

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Scroll to Top